5 Delicious Pork Ribs Recipes You Must Try At Home
We may earn affiliate commissions from the companies mentioned in this post.
For those watching Netflix’s House of Cards, the viewers could only look and salivate, while Frank Underwood gnaws at the saucy, sticky and delicious pork ribs at Freddy’s BBQ Rib Joint.
As expected, Freddy’s Rib Joint is fictional and you certainly cannot drop by to have a bite at the famous pork ribs! But you can make them at home by following the videos below. There is even a Freddy’s BBQ Rib recipe.
Talking of pork ribs, I can still remember the delicious ribs at Hurricane’s Grill, Sydney, when I went there a few years back. The ribs are super delicious. Finger licking good! It is a must try the next time when you are in Sydney. Reservation is a must.
Not all pork ribs are the same. There are the baby back ribs and the spare ribs. The baby back ribs are not from baby pigs, but are ribs from the back spine or top of the rib cage. Whereas the spare ribs are ribs cut from the belly of the animal.
The baby back ribs are tender, lean and generally have more meat on them. The spare ribs are tougher, has more fat and can be very tasty if cooked properly.
It is advisable to peel of the membrane of the ribs, before marinating. Leaving the membrane on would make the ribs tough and chewy.
When we place order at a restaurant, we order either a half rack or full rack ribs. So what is half rack and full rack ribs? A full rack rib has 12 – 13 ribs, whereas a half rack rib can contain from 3 – 6 ribs.
Watch and enjoy the Pork Ribs videos below, and happy eating ….
1. Korean BBQ Pork Ribs
8 cups of water
Bottle of Sempio Kalbi BBQ Sauce (Korean sauce)
1. Cut the baby back ribs into individual pieces
2. Pour 8 cups of water and half cup of Sempio Kalbi BBQ Sauce
3. Stir, cover pot and bring pot to boil over high heat
4. When boiling turn heat down and then cook for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Cool the rib and put them in the fridge for 20 – 30 minutes, to firm up.
6. Brush the ribs with the Kalbi BBQ Sauce and grill them.
2. Chinese Spare Ribs
3 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 tbsp Ketchup
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sake
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp grated fresh garlic
1/2 tsp Chinese 5-spice power
1 lb pork spare ribs
1. Mix sauce.
2. Marinate ribs for 2 hours.
3. Pre-heat oven to 325 deg. F.
4. Place ribs in oven for 40 min.
5. Brush marinate every 10 min.
3. Barbecue Ribs Recipe From House of Cards!
Dry ingredients –
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
3 tbsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp kosher salt
BBQ sauce –
2 tbsp Canola oil
1 pc yellow onion, diced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup Bourbon or Whiskey
1 1/2 cups ketchup
2 tbsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup honey
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 lbs baby back ribs
1. Mix the dry ingredients.
2. Sprinkle generously the dry mixture onto the ribs (both sides).
3. Marinate for at least 4 hours.
4. Put in oven at 375 deg. F for about 1 3/4 hours – 3 hours (until they are soft).
5. In a pan, put the Canola oil
6. Put in the onion and stir for a minute or so.
7. Add in paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic, bourbon or whisky and stir.
8. Next add ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, honey, vinegar, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
9. Cook for 25 – 45 min.
10. Once done, take out the ribs from the oven.
11. Spread generously the BBQ sauce on the ribs.
12. Put the ribs back into the oven for another 10 min.
4. Oven Pork Ribs
Rub Ingredients –
Sauce Ingredients –
1. Remove the membrane from the ribs
2. Mix the dry rub ingredients well.
3. Sprinkle and rub in the mixture into the ribs (both sides) until completely covered.
4. Marinate for about half hour in room temperature.
5. Wrap and seal the ribs sitting on a small wire rack, with aluminum foil.
6. Before final seal, add 2 cups of water.
7. Place the ribs in a pre-heated oven at 350 deg. F. for 1 1/2 hours.
8. Mix the sauce ingredients.
9. After 1 1/2 hours, take out the ribs from the oven.
10. Spread a generous layer of sauce on both side of the ribs.
11. Turn ribs back on the top side and return to the oven for another 8 min.
12. Take out the ribs and apply another layer of sauce.
13. Place the ribs in the oven for another 8 min.
5. Oven Ribs Recipe
350g barbecue sauce
1/2 chopped red onion
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion granules
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp allspice powder
1 kg ribs
1. Mix the ingredients.
2. Pour the mixture all over the ribs, in the tray.
3. Make sure sauce covers the ribs nicely on all sides.
4. Cover the tray with aluminum foil.
5. Put ribs in the oven at 375 deg. F (190 deg. C) for an hour.
6. Every 20 min. remove from oven and top up the marinade on the ribs.
7. Cover back the aluminum foil and repeat every 20 min. until the hour is up.